February 23, 2009

Adventures in sleep - Part II: Into the wild

Other times when I'm strolling around sleeping, I find myself somewhere unexpected. I went to camp in the summers with Liz, and one time when I was about 13 we went on a 45 mile canoeing trip. We stayed at a vacated boy scout camp for one of the nights. The campsite had probably 20 or 30 A-frame tents(not sure if that is how to describe it...they had a wood floor and canvas-like roofs and doorway openings. They were shaped like tents). I slept in the middle in my sleeping bag, with Liz on one side and an unsuspecting girl on the other. Sometime in the middle of the night, it started to pour rain. Around the same time or approximately when the ground was most soaked, I rolled out of the canvas door flaps - sleeping bag and all - and landed in a puddle. I also managed to kick my tennis shoes out the door with me (how this occurred without anyone else waking up is beyond me. Maybe I somersaulted).

Generally falling out of a cabin thing and landing in the rain would shock someone awake. Instead I climbed out of the bag and wandered off into the dark. I woke up when I realized my feet were wet and was fairly terrified. One minute I was warm and in a nice tent-like structure and the next I was drenched, in wet pajamas, without glasses (this was particularly unfortunate), disoriented, surrounded by woods and wondering where all the identical little canvas houses were. It took me a long time to find the light to the bathroom (or the biffy, as we called it at camp for some reason). I then could kind of trace my way to our tent thing. Except I overshot it. This was worrisome. Most tents were empty because our group was small and there was a myriad of tents. I looked in like three before I found ours. By this point I was crying and relieved to see dry land(I know, right? Whimpy). Liz fortunately knew of my nighttime travels and helped me fix a bed out of towels and all of our combined dry clothes, because by now my sleeping bag was waterlogged. She then bungee-corded the door flaps shut in paranoia.

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear Kira, I laugh, but not because you're a goof and eat cake out of garbage cans, or pee on books (YOU?), or wander aimlessly naked at night, or have a tiny red fro but because you're frickin hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten about the bungie cord. That made me laugh! I totally remember your mom saying "save the hairs" too. Keep writing, Bead. It is fun to read. -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kiwi: I just finished reading all of your blog entries. They're wonderful. Funny and tart and close to the bone. Honest and true and revealing of your sweet soul. A writer's writing. You have a lovely ear for tone and rhythm and pacing, irony and understatement. A sure touch for the subtle notion of what must be left unsaid, the subtext. Write on, Squicchi.
    Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, what your dad said. Write a book. I Love Book.

    ReplyDelete